Introduction to Research Design and Statistics
The Los Angeles School Dataset
About the Los Angeles School Dataset
The school data to be used for the computer exercises were selected from two senior high
school in the Los Angeles area. The student records you will be using contain 100% of the
students at each of the schools who met all of the following criteria:
- They were in the 9th grade in the 1995 Fall semester.
- They received a mark (grade) in first semester Algebra in the 1995 Fall
semester and a mark (grade) in a mathematics course in the preceding Spring semester.
- They received a mark (grade) in an English course in both the 1995 Fall
semester and the preceding Spring semester.
- They had a California Test of Basic Skills (CTBS) combined Mathematics and combined Language
score for the 1995 calendar year. Both scores are recorded in percentile ranks (PR) and normal curve
equivalence scores (NCE).
Variables in the Los Angeles School dataset
- Student ID number
- School ID
- Mark in first semester Algebra for Fall 95
- Mark in Mathematics in the previous Spring semester
- Mark in English for Fall 1995
- Mark in English for preceding Spring semester
- CTBS Mathematics NCE
- CTBS Language NCE
- CTBS Mathematics Score (Percentiles)
- CTBS Language Score (Percentiles)
- Bilingual Status
- Proficiency in Native Language
- Number of days present in 1995
- Number of days absent in 1995
UCLA Department of Education
Phil Ender, 30Jun98